Friday, April 17, 2015

Sight Word Readers: Learning the First 50 Sight Words is a Snap!

I am homeschooling my son for Kindergarten this year and so far, none of the RAN boards,"Read in 100 lessons" books, Sight Word Flashcards, or even a Sight Word tablet app (that got great reviews from others) worked. My son would get bored after a couple of tries and not even an hour later would forget the words we went through.
Out of desperation and frustration, I went through Amazon trying to find a system that would actually work for him. Somehow I stumbled upon this product and started reading the reviews and descriptions of this system. The price looked reasonable (if it doesn't work then at least I didn't lose too much money) and the system itself seemed to make sense (story with sight words repeated throughout and a short quiz at the end).
2 days after ordering we got it in the mail and I immediately dove into it. Having read the parents workbook, I called my son over to see what the first two sight words (they, go) would do for him. We sat down like we do for our daily reading time and I first read the book out loud while pointing to the words. The book was entertaining enough for him to enjoy the illustrations and short enough that it didn't make him lose focus. After the first time he wanted me to read again so I did. The third time in a row, I asked him to try to read along with me. The fourth time, he was able remember the sight words on each page and even passed the "quiz" on the inside back cover. He was so proud of himself he wanted to do it again, including the quiz. Just to ensure he wasn't just memorizing a pattern, I would point to the words in different order when doing the quiz.
By this time he was so happy he wanted to "read to grandma" so we called my mom and as I pointed to the sight words on each page, he would read them. This children's book is for kids reading levels ages 4-8. Leave us your comments. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Let us know what other children's books you would like to have reviewed. Share this post with your family and friends.
Sight Word Readers

No comments:

Post a Comment